Edward Bednarczyk

Default Venison in NYC

On 10/13/05 11:35 AM, in article , "dgs"
> wrote:

> PorkTeriyaki wrote:
>
>> I asked the same question about Alaska & was told that It's not legal
>> to sell game meat to the public due to health concerns. You have to
>> personally know a hunter or take up hunting yourself.

> Never been to the Buckhorn Exchange in Denver, have you? I was there a
> couple of weeks ago. Had the night's special: elk and buffalo.

I think the distinction is in the definition of "game" - I'm not aware of
wild game that has been hunted & killed in the field being served at any
restaurants in the US. I think I've heard of this in some countries being
sold as "bush meat"

Deer, elk, other "game" animals that are farm raised and then butchered per
the same regs that govern beef, etc. I think are what actually makes it onto
the restaurant trade (including Denver!).

Here in Upstate NY there are a few deer/elk farms (as well as ostrich &
Buffalo) & from time to time you can find "game" meat on the menu of local
restaurants.

I have no idea how this applies to alligator & rattlesnake that I've also
seen on menus. I presume the alligators are farmed or trapped & then
butchered under some kind of inspected facilities. I have no idea about
rattlesnake.

Could be more of a liability concern rather than actual regs, but that's my
guess.

There
--
Ed Bednarczyk