Melba's Jammin'

Default PING Sheldon - Ground Beef King

In article >, "Tank"
> wrote:

> This cubed round steak was from a cow my
> father-in-law purchased from the Ottawa
> county fair last fall. Cut by local butcher,

> Unfortunately, the taste of the cooked meat
> was not that great. She made some meatballs
> with it, and there was almost an "off" taste to
> them.

FWIW, we bought a side of Black Angus from my boss. He insisted that it
be aged for something like 14-21 days (I don't recall exactly, but it
was longer than 'customary') before butchering. The resulting
grillable steaks were great and the ground beef (and lots of it!) was
awful. It had a taste that I can only describe as dark, heavy, and
slightly gamey.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.