William R. Watt

First test for acid. The juice should taste tart. If not add lemon juice.

Second test for pectin. When the juice comes to a boil drip a few drops
into a teaspoon of ethel alcohol (the ethanol form of rubbing alcohol sold
at drugstores is good). If it forms a solid clot there is enough pectin.
If not add pectin or boil the juice down until the natural pectin is
sufficiently concentrated to pass the test.

Third test for set. Add an equal volume of sugar and boil until one of
the following happens
a) the temp reaches 220 def F
b) the juice gels on a cold saucer
c) the juice runs off a metal spoon held on its side in two drops and the last
drops leave the spoon reluctantly

Personally I think syrup is most likely produced when there is
insufficient acid. I've had it happen with wild grapes and with rose hips,
neither of which is a very acid fruit. You could try adding some lemon
juice to the syrup and reboiling it. When I reboil failed jelly I add some
water and let that boil away as it reheats.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm