Pandora

"Curly Sue" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:18:21 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Molto Mario uses San Marzano Tomatoes in his recipes. I note that @
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...-food&v=glance
>>>
>>> they sell for $3.75 a can (marked down to $2.95) - 28 oz can.
>>>
>>> and at another site
>>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...91059?v=glance
>>> there is a The Miracle of San Gennaro - San Marzano Tomatoes from
>>> Campania - 28 oz
>>> (no price).
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever tried these tomatoes?
>>> Pandora, do you see them for sale where you are?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dee Dee

>>I've never seen them! It's an unknown brand.Pheraps they sell them in
>>Naples.
>>Most famous italian brands for pelati a Cirio; De Rica; Del Monte;
>>Valfrutta; Divella.
>>
>>--
>>cheers
>>Pandora

> It's not a brand. It's a type of tomato supposedly grown in the rich
> soil around Naples.

Ahhh! Sorry! Do you mean the kind of tomato? Yes, in the south of Italy we
have many plantation of San marzano. San Marzano is better then the other
tomatoes; it is suitable especially for canning because it has much pulp and
few seeds.

> Several companies import/sell San Marzano and San Marzano-type tomato.
> They can be found in some grocery stores and Italian food stores.

They cost a little more than the other.

> I have tried them, but I don't go out of my way to find them. They
> are very good for sauces. Tomatoey, not acidic.

Yes. They are very good!

--
cheers
Pandora