Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Ferrante > wrote:

> Using a crepe maker, are crepes easy to turn out a good crepe? Also,
> can someone recommend a good (easy) crepe maker?
>
> Lastly, I'm curious what is in a crepe batter, how many ingredients?
>
> Thanks!
> Mark Ferrante

I use a 6-8" cast iron skillet, not a specialized crepe maker. My best
use for crepes:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Gateau de Crepes aux Epinards

Recipe By : Posted again to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller on 10-8-05
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Entrees

Crepes:
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons clarified butter
Filling:
2 pkg. frozen chopped spinach -- (10 oz. each)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons half and half
1 teaspoon sugar
dash nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
To Finish:
1 cup Mornay sauce
1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese

Prepare crepes: Beat eggs and egg yolks with milk, using a whisk or
fork. Add flour and salt, beat until smooth. Batter should be the
consistency of heavy cream. Add butter; let stand 30 minutes. Using
about 1/4 cup batter, bake crepes (thin pancakes) in a hot heavy skillet
or a crepe pan, turning once. Set aside or freeze for future use.
Makes about 15 six-inch crepes. To prepare filling: cook the spinach
according to package directions and drain thoroughly. Melt butter, add
flour and stir. Add half and half, cook and stir until smooth
(essentially, a thick white sauce). Stir in well-drained spinach,
sugar, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stack the crepes in a buttered pie
plate, spreading about 1/3 cup of spinach mixture between each (will use
about 5-7 crepes). Cover with Mornay sauce (a glorified white
sauce--add some grated cheese to 1 cup medium white sauce) and sprinkle
with grated Swiss cheese. Bake at 400? for about 10-15 minutes. Makes
6-8 servings.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 291 Calories; 18g Fat (55%
calories from fat); 12g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 154mg Cholesterol;
382mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Starch/Bread; 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 3 Fat

NOTES : Recipe from a neighbor in the late '70s.

_____