Michel Boucher

Ferrante > wrote in
:

> Using a crepe maker, are crepes easy to turn out a good crepe?

You have to have the temperature and the fat at a right level,
neither too high nor too low. You can find out what that is by
experimenting. The crèpe should be even and removed easily with a
thin metal spatula.

> Also,
> can someone recommend a good (easy) crepe maker?

I bought a carbon steel crepière many years ago and have never
regretted it.

> Lastly, I'm curious what is in a crepe batter, how many
> ingredients?

Jehane Benoît's recipe for 6 crèpes call for:

1 cup flour (I use a mix 50-50 of oat and buckwheat flours)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar (or fructose)
1 large egg
1 1/2 cup milk (I use 1 cup soy milk and 1/2 cup water)

Mix everything together until fairly smooth. Add

1 tbsp oil or melted butter (I use safflower oil)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Put a dab of oil in the crèpìère. Heat until the oil runs freely
then pour in a ladleful of batter. Cook on one side until the
surface appears almost completely dry (no large wet patches) then
flip crèpe and cook again for about 30 seconds to a minute depending
on how crisp you like it.

What you serve it with is your own lookout. I like clear maple
syrup, some like the kind that's closer to molasses or Aunt
Jemima...to each their own. You can also top it with cottage cheese
and fresh fruit pieces.

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot