Puester

Ferrante wrote:
> Using a crepe maker, are crepes easy to turn out a good crepe? Also,
> can someone recommend a good (easy) crepe maker?
>
> Lastly, I'm curious what is in a crepe batter, how many ingredients?
>
> Thanks!
> Mark Ferrante

I usually make them using three small, non-stick omelet pans
so it goes quickly (necause I only make them for a crowd).
The crepe batter is quite simple. Don't overmix or you will
develop the gluten and the resulting crepes will be tough.

CREPE BATTER:
3 eggs 2 Tbsp. melted butter
1 c. flour 1 1/2 c. milk
pinch of salt
Mix together, beating until the lumps are gone. Batter should be
thin enough to "swirl" when you pour it into the pan. Add additional
milk if needed. Most recipes call for letting the batter "rest" for
an hour. Fry in preheated crepe or omelet pans until lightly
browned on both sides. Set aside to cool.

FILLING:
12 oz. cream cheese, softened 2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. soft butter 1 tsp. grated orange rind
1/3 c. sugar
Beat together till fluffy. Spread on cooled crepes almost to the edge.
Roll each crepe into cigar shape and place in a buttered 9x13 inch
pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

SAUCE:
2/3 c. apricot jam 1 Tbsp. orange rind
1/3 c. orange juice 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
2 Tbsp. butter
Combine in a small saucepan and heat stirring occasionally.
Serve over warm crepes. Optional: Top with a small dollop of
whipped cream and toasted, slivered almonds.

Bon appetit!

gloria p