Loki

Default Help needed with shaping bagels

il 16 Feb 2004 11:46:44 -0800, (Lynn Gifford) ha
scritto:

> I think you need lots of yeast because the bagels still have to rise
> AFTER you boil them. Also, I am *NOT a great baker BUT when I make
> bagels, I roll the dough into a ball in my hands (like when you shape
> buns) and poke ny finger through it to make the middle hole.
> Lynn from Fargo
> *(Baking requires measuring . . .)

This is in my Better Homes and Garden's Homemade bread cookbook
c.1973.

4 1/4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 packages active dry yeast (any one know what those weigh?)
1 1/2 cups warm water (110°)- °F I guess
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt

In large mixer bowl combine 11/2 cups flour and the yeast.

Combine water sugar and salt. Add to dry mixture in mixer bowl.

Beat at low speed 1/2 minute. (...I wish - I use even slower hand and
spoon)

Beat 3 mins. at high speed (.. ya gotta be kidding!)

By hand stir in the rest of the flour to make a moderately stiff
dough. (that I can do )

Turn out (yaddayadda)
Knead till smooth and elastic (8-10 mins)

Cover, let rest 15 mins. (Is this for the dough or the baker?)

Cut into 12 portions, *shape* into smooth balls. i(my hilite)i
Punch hole in middle, enlarge hole by pulling it. Cover, let rise 20
mins
(optional - broil (grill) a bit for smooth glossy surface on an
ungreased tray)

In simmering sugared water (1 gal :1TBLspnp) boil bagels 7 mins a few
at a time. Turn once.

Drain. Place on greased baking sheet . Bake at 375° for 30 -35 mins.
Broiled (grilled) bagels, bake about 25.

Nowhere does it meantion rising after boiling. I would've thought the
yeast died on the boiling.

--
Cheers,