jmcquown

Glitter Ninja wrote:
> My mother recently passed away and I inherited all her kitchen
> goodies. People keep telling me no matter how old I get, I'll never
> get over missing mom's cooking, and that's the truth. I miss her
> catfish something terrible.
> Something I've noticed, though, is that mom and I both had several
> casserole dishes. Now I've got an entire cabinet stuffed full of
> casseroles and I can't give them up! My husband asks me just when
> I'll ever need 20 casseroles all at once.

Who says you'll need them all at once? <G> But that one you toss will
probably be just the perfect size for something you need down the road and
then you'll kick yourself for getting rid of it. Besides, I think there is
inherently something comforting having things that belonged to family. I
have some things from my grandmother and a couple of pretty enamel baking
dishes my aunt used for her chicken pot pies. Wouldn't trade them for the
world even though I don't use them for chicken pot pie.

> Mom also had at least 150 different casserole recipes in her box of
> loose recipes, and hundreds more in her cookbooks. Combined I bet I
> have 1,000 recipes for casseroles, although most probably contain
> Velveeta, cream of mushroom soup, and/or "one bag frozen broccoli".
> I love casseroles.
>
> Stacia

I have gotten more into casseroles as I get older. Mom wasn't much for
preparing them, other than mac & cheese with ham added. But I find them
easy to prepare and they usually freeze well, too. Cooking for one, I often
make something akin to hamburger helper or a rice dish with meat and veggies
and put the leftovers in the freezer in small portions for meals at a later
date.

Jill