In >, on 10/05/05
at 12:46 PM, pennyaline > said:

>Ranee Mueller wrote:
>> pennyaline > wrote:

>> I've heard that the restaurants in Provo are actually quite nice,
>> possibly catering to the tastes of the returned missionaries. Any truth
>> to that?

>Not in my experience. They are bland and awful everywhere, from what
>I've tasted in my travels through the state.

There are good restaurants but you have to live there or be lead to them.
I've mentioned Ninth & Ninth, there was another place to the East of the
Zoo. Microbreweries and coffee places . . .

>RMs return to all parts of Utah (and Idaho, and Oregon, and California,
>and Illinois, and to other countries and... they come from and return to
>practically everywhere!), not just to Provo. It's possible that Provo
>restaurateurs might tweak their restaurants to please the missionary
>crowd, but its more likely that they only think they are doing so.

Provo/Orem has a very high percentage of Mormons compared to SLC and that
is the crowd the restaurants markets to. I think the figures I remember
hearing ('93-'95) were 80% for Orem/Provo and <40% for SLC.

>And having listened to RMs describing their experiences "abroad," one
>thread is common among them: there is no substitute for the food they
>grew up with.

As is the case for most people.

>None of the above addresses the Sundance experience, which is something
>like an endless crawl of every Starbucks in existence. But when you do
>finally get a table at a real restaurant, the food is typically Utahn.

Sorry to hear that Sundance has fallen so low. I used to really enjoy
their food and buffets and ate there about twice a month. It was one place
where the fruit and, especially, vegetables were really fresh and well
prepared.

jim