Emery Davis

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 09:52:54 -0500
Mark Lipton > wrote:

[]
] character whatsoever. No doubt this view is colored by my location:
] YMMV (however, I've had several exceedingly boring and "international"
] Merlots from France, too).
]

Hi Mark,

I think location has a lot to do with it. I've certainly had some
boring cheap Merlots from France, but I'd say it is far out-weighed
(out-volumed?) by awful Bordeaux here. What's more, much like the
"merlot is wonderful" crowd in the states, most folks here will simply
select Bordeaux over all other comers, regardless of the quality,
because "Bordeaux is best."

I'm guessing most of these wines are largely CS, although there is
no doubt plenty of CF and some Merlot in there too. Truth is they're
often so astringent it's difficult to tell the CS from the CF!

Perhaps a German correspondent might see an ocean of bad Riesling,
where an Aussie sees one of Shiraz... Thank goodness for variety, eh?

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to