Nellie Paris

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:17:20 -0400, MW > wrote:

>Is tipping shared with the kitchen staff ever? The reason I ask is
>that the new law in NY regarding mandatory % tipping I find
>outrageous. If the kitchen staff received some of the money, I would
>not feel as much that way.
>
>You see, to me, it has always bugged me when a server gets more money
>for walking from the kitchen to the table with lobster instead of
>salad. Really, how does what they bring me change the level of work
>they do? Sure, there is the rare dish you may need to bring something
>extra for (like wet wipes for ribs or something like that), but rarely
>does what I order make them work any more or less than usual!
>
>Now, if the kitchen staff received some of that money, I could
>understand. It is a bit more difficult to prepare the lobster than it
>is to prepare the salad.

Kitchen staff make standard, livable wages and get regular raises.
Servers do not, yet they tip out bussers, bartenders, and sometimes
others.

I promise you that there is more to serving than walking the food out.
It is more like managing the dining for that table. Servers often do
a lot of the salad making and food prep too and have to do some of the
drinks, at least where I worked. There's lots lots more. Try it
sometime. :-)

If you are really impressed with your meal, you can always send
something back to the kitchen. I have done this.

I do not know of a law in NY that requird mandatory tipping. I know
of only one restaurant that was doing it, Per Se, as mentioned in
Steven Shaw's article. Tell me more.

Nellie Paris