Bruce_Nolte_N3LSY&

The Chateau Plonk de Jacques wrote:
> Ruby Cabernet is a Carigan X Cabernet Sauvignon cross
> designed to bring Cab Sav style Flavours to a vine that would
> like Central Valley Ca Conditions IE hot and overcropping.
> It can produce decent wine. It is the most successful of the
> Davis -California Red wine crosses. Gallo has Vartietial on the
> market.
>
> Try treating the finishing like a Cabernet . Oaking with
> French oak dominate might help. A Malolatic Fermentation
> in Second Fermentation would help as well . Also blending
> with real Cab or Merlot for a Sort of Mertiage can help .
>
> A few quick suggestions... I hope this helps.

Thanks, I definitely plan to add some oak chips. It has pretty much
fermented to dryness, SG of .995, measured in the free-run juice, but
pressing seems to have released a bit more sugar, so it is still burping
through the airlock a few times per minute now.

This is my first attempt at a dry red wine, most of my previous wines
have been a bit sweet. It should come in about right at 12 percent
alcohol based on my starting SG. I just hope I avoid the H2S problems I
am having with my Chardonnay in the neighboring carboy. Never really had
a problem with my reds and H2S, but I left the white on the gross lees
for about a week after it went dry. Live and learn, and I am trying to
work out the stink as I speak.