Tom S

"Jeffrey Hallett" > wrote in message
> My question came about due to a bottle of Campden tablets I have that have
> been labeled as containing Sodium Metabisulphite. Since Many recipes
> recommend adding a crushed Campden tablet at various stages of the
> process, I was wondering if you were recommending something else. I have
> since looked at another bottle of Campden tablets and see that they are
> labeled as Potassium Metabisulphite. Since these are clearly labels
> printed by someone who is repackaging them from bulk, I suspect that
> someone has simply mislabeled them. Or are there 2 kinds of Campden
> tablets as well?

I have no idea - which is part of the reason why I don't use them. I buy
potassium metabisulfite in a sealed, foil bag, weigh out 220 grams, dilute
it to a liter and use that for sulfite additions. 20 ml of that per 60
gallon barrel adds ~10 ppm SO2.

Be sure to keep the unused portion (both liquid and powder) tightly sealed,
as it's _very_ reactive with air, which reduces its potency.

Tom S