ellen wickberg

HelixStalwart wrote:
>>Banana Tropic Jam
>>
>>4 cups mashed or pureed ripe bananas*
>>1.5 cups fresh squeezed orange juice (I used Valencias)
>>0.5 cups fresh squeezed lime juice (Key or Mexican limes are best if
>>you can get them)
>>3 cups sugar
>>1 box no-sugar pectin (I used Sure-Jell, but other will probably work
>>just fine too.)

> What was the yield on this recipe please? Oh, and over here in the UK
> we tend to only be able to get Certo liquid pectin - how does this
> compare to the powdered in amount used?

I guess this is sticking my nose into the discussion, but if you
substitute certo liquid for "no sugar" pectin you will have to use a lot
more sugar ( usually 7 cups vs 3 cups or less) for the same recipe if it
is like the Bernardin "no sugar needed pectin" which uses 0 to 3 cups
maximum sugar per box. Good luck and let us know how it works out. The
year we lived in Hong Kong, banana jam ( without the citrus juices) was
available in the stores, but was very sweet.
Ellen