OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote on 24 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Are
> > there any sauces I could make using brandy?

> Chicken Gravy or Turkey Gravy with a little brandy added is marvelous...
>
> Soaking dried fruit (raisins, apricots, etc) in brandy, instead of water,
> to plump them up is good...for things like nut loaf quick bread recipes, or
> Fruit Cakes.

I like to make brandied fruit for christmas gifts. ;-)

Take some fresh frozen mixed berries (strawberries/blueberries/raspberry
mixes can easily be found in the frozen section) and put them into a
jar. Add about 3 tbs. of sugar, then pour grain alcohol into that 'till
full. Let sit about 2 weeks (I do not refrigerate) then drain off the
grain alcohol. Set that aside for "other" recipes. The pure alcohol
dries and preserves the fruit.

Add 3 more tbs. sugar and fill the jar with brandy. Let sit for another
2 weeks, then use to top vanilla icecream, angel food or pound cake.

The now berry flavored grain alcohol can be used in mixed drinks, or
added to other baked recipes.

Cheers!
--
Om.