Sheldon

kilikini wrote:
> "~patches~" > wrote in message
> > biig wrote:
> >
> > > My basil plant is doing fine without a lot of sun because I put it
> > > under a flourescent light, but this morning I found mites on it. Does
> > > anyone have a fixit for that? tia....Sharon

> > Mix up a solution of a couple of drops of dish detergent, couple of
> > drops of olive oil or other veggi oil in about a quart of water. Put in
> > a spray bottle and spray the plant. Problem solved

> I second that.
>
> kili <------who used to work for a nursery and that's what even *they* used.

Then you would know to use *soap*, NOT detergent... big difference.
A tablespoon of Murphy's Oil Soap with a quart of water... for mites
it's more important to wet the soil than the plant. Of course with
annual herbs potted indoors once they're infested with mites I'd toss
them and start over... why would any right minded person want soapy
basil. That basil very likely became infested because the mites were
in the soil and it was deprived of ultaviolet... and ordinary
florescent light wont do, ya need gro-lights... and you still need
natural sunlight for the ultraviolet. For growing potted herbs indoors
it's imperative to use *sterilized* potting soil and as much natural
sunlight as possible.

Sheldon