Sheldon

~patches~ wrote:
> X-posted to rec.food.preserving
>
> I'm in the middle of tomatoes and apples right now. Today I bought a
> small bottle of brandy thinking I could use it with the apples since
> I've seen recipes for brandied cherries and peaches. The only BBB
> recipe for brandy with apples is for apple mincemeat. Now I have a
> bottle of brandy and don't know what to do with it.

I like this combo...

Baked Apples in Butter Brandy Sauce
Printed from Allrecipes

These apples make their own sauce, which is decadent over
vanilla ice cream.

4 large Granny Smith apples,
peeled and cored
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup brandy

Directions
1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2 Place apples in a shallow baking dish. Mix together the
brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and nutmeg;
pack the mixture into the cores of the apples and pile the
remaining on the tops. The tops of the apples should be covered.
Place 1 tablespoon of butter on top of each apple. Pour the
brandy into the dish, drizzling over the apples. Cover the
dish with aluminum foil.
3 Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until apples
can be sliced with a spoon. Serve in a bowl with some ice
cream, and spoon sauce over. The sauce will be slightly runny.
---

Taffy Apple Ice Cream

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 cans evaporated milk (12 ounce) (3 cups total)
1 tablespoon molasses
4 beaten eggs
2 cups whipping cream
3 cups peeled cored, and finely chopped apple
1 teaspoon vanilla
Apple slices (optional)
Caramel ice cream topping (optional)

In a medium saucepan combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, milk, and
molasses. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves; remove
from heat. Slowly stir 1 cup of hot milk mixture into beaten eggs, then
return to hot mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat just
until bubbling; do not boil. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Cover and
chill.

Stir in whipping cream, chopped apple, and vanilla. Freeze in a 4- or
5-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Ripen
ice cream for 4 hours. Garnish with apple slices and caramel topping,
if desired.

Makes about 2 quarts (16 servings).
Razzle Dazzle Recipes

Sheldon