MareCat

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> RITA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH...15 KM/HR...AND
> THIS
> GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS.
>
> REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE
> THAT
> MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 175 MPH...280 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
> GUSTS.
> THIS MAKES RITA A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY
> FIVE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN
> INTENSITY
> ARE LIKELY DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.
>
> Go, go, go! Rita is going to be another Katrina. Don't think you are
> going
> to be safe. Get out before they tell you to.

We live 40 miles north of the center of Houston, and we're staying (many
of our neighbors and friends in this area are staying as well). We're
far enough in-land that we'll be OK. Anyway, we couldn't get out now if
we wanted to. The freeways have been clogged since early yesterday.

Depending on how the aftermath is (with electricity, water, etc.), we
may pack up and get out after Rita passes (my in-laws, who live in CA,
have a house in Austin that we can go to for a few days).

Mary