Hunt

In article >, says...

>First, I have forgottten 80% of whatever I knew about wine.
>
>Years ago I bought a bottle of Vintage Port wine, while visiting a winery in
>Oporto, Portugal. I recently took a look at this 35 year old bottle, and
>found that there is a sticky substance on the top of the bottle, as though
>something was slowly oozing through the cork/covering. Is this a bad thing?
>Have I finally waited too long to open this bottle?
>
>Please. Any advise here is appreciated.
>
>John

John,

I hate to say this, but it could be bad, or it might not. Over a period of 35
years, corks can leak some. However, it could also indicate that the wine has
warmed, at some time, above where it should have, and as the Port expanded, it
has pushed the cork out, allowing leakage. If the "capsule" is wax, check it
out for cracks. If not, can you see, or feel if the cork has been pushed out a
bit?

Vintage Port, if stored properly, and if the cork has no mechanical faults, it
will last a century, or more. That doesn't mean that it will be at its best
100 years after bottling, but that it will still be good, and drinkable.

However, if it has been stored for long periods, upright, then placed on its
side later, you can encounter some leakage.

Recently, I was offered a Taylor 1955 Vintage Port in London. It had leaked
pretty badly over its life. As I had never sampled this particular vintage,
and always wanted to, I jumped at the chance. The cork was crumbly (is that a
proper word?), but finally came out. To my surprise, the Vintage had
essentially become a Tawny (or more closely a Madiera), due to oxidation. It
was still very drinkable, but was not the wine that I wanted to taste - I
still have not had the Taylor '55 Vintage.

It's a bit of a "crap-shoot" as to whether this bottle is still good. I'd bet
that it is, but would make sure that I had a backup bottle, before inviting a
dozen friends over to sample it.

Good luck with this 35 year old, and let's hope that it's in fine shape, ready
to consume now.

Hunt