Gary

Default OLD cast iron?

Bob Myers wrote:

> Not QUITE Yet Another Post about how to season new cast iron...
>
> In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
> I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
> thirty years ago. At the time, of course, these were all well-seasoned;
> I remember them all nice and black, and of course they turned out
> many wonderful meals. But they've been packed away and unused
> for at least 20 years now - Mom never used them, and I stored these
> boxes after she died a couple of years ago. Today they're rusty in
> spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
> cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
> old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
> or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
> and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
> to go. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
> sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
> it.
>
> Bob M.

Media blasting will not attack the surface of the metal and remove the
"annealing" layer like sand blasting would. Media blasting uses hard plastic
blast media rather than sand, and is safe for things that sand is not. When
I lived in a powder coating shop, I used to take my pans to the media blast
cabinet to clean them (NO blasting is safe for teflon).

Gary