Terry Pulliam Burd

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:56:44 GMT, (Curly
Sue) wrote:

<snip>

>Good bakeries have the skill, the time, and the equipment to do
>things beyond what most of us can do easily. I've seen recipes for
>sfogliatelle, but I don't know anyone who makes them. Very
>labor-intensive.

<snip>

Yahbut, one of the reasons I cook is b/c I *like* to cook, and just
creating something interesting is worth it even though I may only make
it once in a blue moon. I may be able to buy it, in this case at a
bakery, but just working through a unique recipe is fun for me. And I
just *love* it when someone exclaims, "You *made* this???" Yeah, I
made it. Because I can :-)

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Sfogliatelle

desserts

1 1 -pound package frozen puff pastry
4 tablespoons butter, melted
confectioners' sugar
cinnamon
parchment paper, optional
filling:
1 cup milk
1/4 cup semolina flour
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese; well drained
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest

Defrost puff pastry according to package directions.

To make the filling:

In a saucepan, bring the milk to a boil over medium high heat. Add the
semolina flour in a thin, steady stream, stirring constantly with a
wooden spoon until mixture is smooth and thick, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl and let cool 5 minutes. Add the cheese, egg, sugar
and lemon zest to the mixture and beat well. Set aside. Preheat oven
to 425 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Roll 1 sheet of pastry out to a 16-by-22-inch rectangle on a floured
and preferably cold surface (marble slab works well). Starting at a
short end, brush one third of the sheet with the melted butter and
begin rolling the pastry sheet tightly like a jelly roll; brush the
remaining two thirds of the sheet with butter and roll up. Cut the
roll into 2-inch-thick slices. Form each piece into a small seashell
shape by pushing your thumbs against the center of the piece and
spreading it out. Fill each shell with about 2 tablespoons filling.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet for
about 2 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely. To serve,
sprinkle with powdered sugar and sprinkle a line of cinnamon down
center of each Sfogliatelle.

Yield: makes about 16.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA