Christine Dabney

On 10 Sep 2005 13:37:57 -0700, "ntantiques" >
wrote:

>> Can you guys name other stuff?

>Soups. Besides tasting much better, they make the kitchen smell great
>while they're cooking.
>Nancy T

Stocks and broths, along these same lines.

I sometimes would buy canned broth, but soon found out that even a
cheap broth is more expensive than a good homemade broth/stock. For
the price of a chicken you can make much more broth/stock, plus you
can use the chicken meat (if you don't cook it to death) for
something else, such as chicken salad.

I found that for the amount I paid for one or two big cans of broth, I
could make at least double or triple that amount of homemade, and the
quality was much, much better.

Now, when I start a new traveling nurse assignment, one of the first
things I do is get a chicken and make stock. I then reduce it down,
and put it in ice cube trays, and it lasts the length of my whole
contract. Much, much cheaper!!!

Christine