Gimme a Break

I would approach it this way...hopefully you will be able to review their
resumes....Select candidates based on experience...as in where have they
worked....have they only worked in places that provide Asian menus only, or
have they worked in Hotels where they might be exposed to more international
fair or even better western menu experience...if you're not sure of the
establishments..find out what kind of menus they provided...I am assuming
since your language barrier may be an issue an interpreter may be at your
disposal....use them to pre-screen applicants for the type of experience
they may have. Then I suggest meeting with them and talking with them (if
possible) and get a general feel for their personalities. Then you can start
the cooking part...have someone translate your allergens to the cooks and
then get them to cook a couple of meals for you...only one of them being
Asian...that should give you a good start.

"Scott Jensen" > wrote in message
> I'm in tentative talks with a company to run an office for them in

Shanghai.
> Due to severe food allergies and not being able to speak Chinese, I will

be
> needing to hire two local residents to be the cooks at my apartment. They
> would split the week between them (i.e., four days on, three days off, and
> then alternate next week). They would buy groceries and cook up a fresh

hot
> lunches and dinners. I really don't eat breakfast and if I did, it would
> just be cereal, juice, and cold cuts. During the workweek, my office

staff
> (four people) and I would drive over and have lunch at my apartment. Due

> hosting two late-morning parties for clients each week, the cook will also
> need to prepare and monitor brunch buffets for them. Applicants for the
> cook job will be from a state employment agency. The agency will send all
> qualified applicants to me for interviews. The question is...
>
> How do I select a good one? I'm assuming I would eventually need them to
> cook something for me. How would I best whittle them down so I'm not

having