Mike Petro

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 01:12:37 GMT, Steve Hay
> wrote:

>Mike Petro wrote:
>> Let's make this absolutely clear, I concede NOTHING. I, and EVERYONE
>> else who has spoken up on this subject, still believe you are dead
>> wrong. I am simply willing to make a silly "concession" to get you to
>> shut the hell up. I will remove the word "Rosetta" from my translation
>> page if you cease and desist all attacks aimed at me. Personally I
>> don't believe you can do it.

>I believe he is dead wrong. However, the fact that he used this
>metaphor appears to be true. He used it in 2003 and early 2004, but
>does copywriting a metaphor even make any sense?

I do not dispute that he published his use of a very common metaphor
before I published mine. So what! About 50,000 people published their
variation of the same metaphor before he did
(http://tinyurl.com/9hhfc). Somewhere in this old thread it was even
documented that someone else even used the term specifically regarding
tea long before he did. If it can be said that I am plagiarizing the
term then so is he. Either way, so what, its a common metaphor!

Here is an interesting quote about metaphors:
"Metaphor is often used as a teaching tool, or to convey difficult
concepts. It is found throughout languages and is considered by many
to be essential to language. Since metaphor allows for the
substitution of ideas across differing areas of study, it is
considered by some to be an interdisciplinary Rosetta Stone."

Now why exactly cant I use the term?

Just because he published the term before I did doesn't mean I got any
of my ideas from him and it doesn't mean I even read his post. My idea
is actually rather different and was arrived at independently, it was
a natural feature to add to a website devoted to puerh. Researching
and creating a genre specific translation sheet is a lot different
than reading a tin in a supermarket. I actually put work and effort
into my solution and shared it with the world, what did he do besides
pick up a can from a shelf and log the fact.

The Rosetta thing is just another excuse to attack me, he started
attacking me long before I published the Rosetta page on 3/13/2004.
Just look at these:
http://tinyurl.com/buyxs
http://tinyurl.com/ctd79
http://tinyurl.com/9qo65
http://tinyurl.com/8korn
http://tinyurl.com/95wl3

All of this was prior to the creation of my Rosetta Page. Now what
specifics have you seen him quote INCLUDING references? He doesn't
because if he quotes accurately he cant twist my words around.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
"In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be forgotten that much likewise is performed."
Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.