Anny Middon

Default Flat glass ceramic cooktop - pan or pot size

"P Bennett" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
>
> I have a Maytag Gemini with a glass-ceramic cooktop. It says in the
> users manual not to use a pan with a bottom larger than the element by
> 1/2 to 1 inch.
> The largest element is 9 inches. I need to use a 4 gallon stock pot
> and I can't find one that is less than 11 inches.
> My question is, what happens if you go over by 2 inches? will it
> damage the element or just not cook correctly?
> I will be using a very flat bottom stock pot.

I had a glass-ceramic cooktop for a while and hated it. The problem with
using pots larger than the element was that somehow they triggered some
built-in failsafe and automatically turned the burner off. So I'd put on a
large pot of water for pasta and come back to find it not boiling, but
barely warm.

Anny