zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
>> Say, George (or anyone else who knows the cuisine) .... I'm
>> thinking/in the pre-pre-planning stage of working with an American
>> Friends Service Committee subcommittee to cater a small (maybe 20-30)
>> dinner for Katrina relief, (at about $100/plate, but i'm more more
>> will be collected at the event). Give me some ideas for
>> appetizers/finger food with the theme?
>>
>> I realize folks would rather eat than eat about eating so there's not
>> much "cocktail snacks" in the literature, but.... and yeah, it's also
>> probably going to be adapted, much to your horror, as "California"
>> fusion.... this is probably better posted in rfc, but I haven't read
>> it in some time because of the volume.
>>
>> B/

> Angels on horseback is popular around here, broiled oysters wrapped in
> bacon. Shrimp kabob is also popular, little breads stuffed with shrimp
> etouffee, any of these types of food are popular along the coast. Crab
> fingers, barbecued crab are others. Do a Google on hors d'ouevres(sp?)
>
> George

How about large mushroom caps stuffed with crab meat and just a little
swiss cheese on top? I don't know how Creole that really is, but it's
got crab in it so I don't think folks will mind. I've made these before
with canned crabmeat and they were pretty good. I don't think I would
try it with surimi.

Also, boiled crawfish -- the big ones. Whole, not peeled.

Remoulade Sauce, but I'm not sure what exactly it is served with
(probably fried or broiled butterflied shrimp.)

Fried soft-shell crab, if you can find them. Cut in half for a large
appetizer.

Turtle soup? (made with snapping turtles, not sea turtles) Don't let
the turtle bite your fingers off. :-)

-Bob