Kathi Jones

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
news
> Loki wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:33:02 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>and what, Loki, does one do with a 17' gator? Can it be pickled? (on

group
> >>topic ;-)
> >>
> >>Enquiring (Canadian) minds want to know.........

> > Cure the hide or sell it. You know, nice alligator handbags and
> > shoes. Then you cook the tail meat. It's not bad. Not sure how to
> > preserve it though.
> >
> > Loki
> >

> Let's see, tail meat is $9 a lb, rest of the meat, back and legs, worth
> about $6.00 a lb. Skin is worth about $20 a square foot nowadays, and
> the stuffed head is worth a good bit as a curio. Hardly any waste on a
> gator. Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi have trapping seasons and I'm
> not sure about Florida and the other southern states. Some guides around
> SW Louisiana are charging several hundred dollars for cheechakos to come
> in and shoot a gator. Me, I just run over one once in awhile with the
> pickup and occasionally run over a stupid gator with the boat. The meat
> is tasty but not worth what they're selling it for, I can get prime beef
> for that kind of money.
>
> George

Wow....I'm amazed. Of course I know one can buy alligator purses, wallets,
boots etc., but I never really thought about it much. So is gator meat
something you can buy at a local market? Or is it like deer, moose or duck
hunting season here - catch what you're allowed (licensed and got tickets
for)and stock the freezer once a year....?

Me, I'd pick a nice prime rib of beef over any of that stuff anyway.....

Kathi