Scott Dorsey

Mydnight > wrote:
>>My grandfather had a much better one. He suggested drinking a quart
>>of bourbon, and when you wake up a week later your cold will be cured.

>A Russian guy that lives in my hometown claims he hasn't had a cold in
>25 years. He firmly believes in preventative medicine, so each morning
>he takes a raw clove of garlic and mixes it with a shot of vodka and
>downs it. He's close to 90 years old and can run like you wouldn't
>believe.

This is effective because colds are transmitted by airborne viruses.
When an infected person sneezes or coughs, a fine aerosol of mucus
droplets is scattered all over the area, and these droplets contain
the virus. Breathing them in causes infection.

With a large amount of garlic, people stay so far away from you that
you are no longer within range of this spray. The cashier at the
grocery store uses a long pole to push your change back to you.
Children run away when you walk down the street. Even beggars and
panhandlers, who are not themselves known for particularly good odor,
avoid your presence. No doubt the vodka increases absorption of the
garlic oils.
--scott