On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:19:19 -0400, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

>I do agree that I would be embarrassed to serve company the types of dishes
>that Sandra Lee comes up. Especially that "trifle" with the pudding cups.
>Ick. But in fairness to her, I watched that show on Monday. The trifle was
>NOT made from Twinkies--it was made from pound cake, and not even Sara Lee
>poundcake, which isn't very good--It looked like it came in the sort of
>plastic "bubble" container that one finds at the supermarket bakery. In
>other words, it was a decent pound cake. It looked like a good pound cake,
>anyway.

>The idea of "semi-homemade" is a good one. Taking advantage of some modern
>conveniences to save time can have wonderful results. For example, I have
>bought sliced roast beef (good quality) from the deli, and a jar of Heinz
>gravy....sauteed onions, mushrooms and garlic in a pan, added a splash of
>red wine, some herbs and seasonings....poured in the jar of gravy and served
>that over the roast beef with nuked potatoes and a hot veggie..it's not what
>I'd call "company" fare, but I wouldn't be embarrassed to serve it to
>friends, either.
>
>She just takes it a little bit too far by using inferior products in her
>recipes---which, as they say, garbage in, garbage out.

My sister called me last night to tell me about her fantastic baby
back ribs and how she got the recipe from Sandra Lee. I remember that
episode, but I let her talk. She said basically you boil the ribs,
and then barbeque them with your favorite bbq sauce. She didn't have
enough sauce, so she had to added honey, brown sugar, some pureed
tomatoes, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Well, no
wonder they were good, she made her own sauce!

pepsi