Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:55:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> >the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

> You did great. What is the secret to your B&B pickles? Sounds like
> you may have some secret ingredient.

Thank you.
I have no idea. "-) The water? Cheap cider vinegar?
I like them about (digs through drawer for ruler) 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 inch
diameter. Not more than 2" diameter. Straight, firm, and fresh are
always good. Unless you pick them yourself, you really don't know how
fresh they are. I never pick my own. I buy what looks good at the
market. Varietal? Color me Clueless. I slice them in the Cuisinart,
4mm thick, I think (Godalmighty, I gotta write some of this stuff down
because every freakin' July I look at my set of blades, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm,
6mm and think, "OK, Dipstick, which WAS it!) Like I said, I've posted
the recipe any number of times and I actually follow it. There's always
brine/syrup leftover. Just had a thought: I may make a half batch of
these suckers for Rob and NOT can them -- they'll stay in the fridge
till who won't have it! (Every once in a while I come up with a good
idea.)

I brought some to a brunch at Margaret's a year or two ago and they
weren't exactly snarfed down. Heathens.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05