cutecat

"Jose" > wrote in message
> I'll be in Seattle and Portland in early September. Any reccomendations
> on wineries to visit? I'm partial to reds, like Cabs, Zins, Syrahs, and
> Cab Franc, though I understand that Oregon has nice Pinots.
>
> Jose
> --
> Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
> except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no
> universe.
> for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Owen Roe, Ponzi, Cameron near Portland. Pinots are indeed the wine of the
area, both Noir and Gris.

Washington's best reds are Merlots, Syrahs, and Cabs from grapes of the Red
Mountain region. Try the Tasting Room at Pike Place Market in Seattle to
reach a number of wineries in one swoop. Matt's at the Market is a great,
small, wine smart restaurant in the Market, and Etta's Seafood is also good.

In Woodinville, if you call ahead, you can sometimes get into DeLille,
Novelty Hill and Mark Ryan. DiStephano usually has their tasting area open.
The touristy standards are Chateau Ste. Michelle and Columbia (in
Woodinville). Eat at the Barking Frog or the Herbfarm if you go there.
Washington wines are generally made from grapes grown on the east side of
the Cascade Mtns--Seattle is on the western side, on Puget Sound. If you
have time, you could take a detour to Yakima and Prosser, where many of the
smaller wineries like Cayuse are.

Have fun!