Robert Klute

Default OLD cast iron?

On 29 Sep 2003 19:25:14 GMT, Michel Boucher >
wrote:

>Dans un moment de folie, "Bob Myers"
> écrivit:
>
>> I've been
>> thinking that coarse steel wool or even sandblasting could get the
>> accumlated rust and crud off, and then treating it like new,
>> unseasoned cast iron would be the way to go. Any thoughts on
>> this?

>Use a bit of vegetable oil and a cloth to see how deep the rust is. It
>might just be a small sheen. If it hasn't damaged the metal, you can
>remove it with a bit of scraping. If it has damaged the surface, I'd
>just keep them as decorations.

To state the obvious - if the pits are on the outside or inner walls,
and not DEEP, it doesn't matter. If they are on the inner base and not
too deep, then try using a disk sander attached to a drill to work out
the pits. Start with a fairly course carbide disk and work down the
grits. Course, at some point the cost of the brushes, disks, etc. will
start to exceed the cost of a new set. So be cognizant of the
sentimental value the pots and pans hold for you.