Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 09:48:26a, Dave Bell wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Hoges in WA wrote:
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>
>>>On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:37:15p, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:
>>>

>> snipped
>>

>>>My suggestion would be to use a proper chocolate cake recipe that calls
>>>for cocoa. I use a very good one from Hershey's that always brings
>>>raves.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>>____________________________________________
>>>
>>>My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four, unless
>>>there are three other people.
>>>

>>>---
>>>avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>>>Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
>>>Tested on: 8/19/2005 8:23:16 PM
>>>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
>>>

>> Thanks for the advice.
>>
>> What's your recipe???
>>
>> Hoges in WA

> Besides the one Wayne posted, here's another Hershey's recipe that
> always gets raves for me. Caution: It's deadly rich, and addictive!
>
> Dave
>
> (I use a cup of freshly brewed, very strong, french roast.
> The same goes well with the cake, later...)
>
> Black Magic Cake
>

> • 2 cups sugar
> • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
> • 3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
> • 2 teaspoons baking soda
> • 1 teaspoon baking powder
> • 1 teaspoon salt
> • 2 eggs
> • 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
> • 1 cup strong black coffee
> OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup
> boiling water
> (Bleah!! DB)
> • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
> • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>

> 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking
> pans
> or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. (Watch out for overflow with 13x9!)
>
> 2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder
> and
> salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat
> on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter
> evenly into prepared pans.
>
> 3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for
> rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
> Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost
> as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.
>
> * To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1
> cup.

Yes, this is excellent, Dave. It's essentially the same cake except for
coffe in place of water and the buttermilk in place of whole milk. I often
substitute buttermilk in the recipe I use. I also like coffee in the
frosting.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/20/2005 6:12:18 PM