Mike Petro

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:07:17 GMT, Nico Dornemann
> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Another question for the sages of puer. I know the basic
>conditions that puer needs to age well, but I'm not sure how
>to best create these conditions.
>
>Does something like a cabinet or closet get sufficient air
>flow? If so, is there anything I should do, other then
>remove any odor causing stuff, to make it a good aging
>environment. Are some kind of vessels recommended? Is it
>necessary to somehow regulate humidity. I should add at this
>point that I live in Minnesota, where we experience very
>cold winters and hot, humid summers.
>
>If a cabinet wont do, what will? Is a basement to humid?
>
>Nico
>.

Hi again Nico,

If the climate is "comfortable" for humans it is acceptable for
storing puerh. If your basement is comfortable enough to use as a
living space it will work just fine. Exposure to air is important but
not to the point that you need a draft or "flow" of air, the main
thing is that you don't starve it from fresh air. A cabinet or closet
would work fine as long as it is not airtight, and I would recommend
opening the doors once in a while to get a blast of fresh air in. As
for vessels I would recommend using the original packaging or, if
opened or torn, rewrapping the tea in single layer of acid free paper.
If you do use a container for say loose leaf or whatever be sure the
container is not airtight and doesn't have an odor of it's own.

Look at http://www.pu-erh.net/howtoage.html for more info.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
"In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be forgotten that much likewise is performed."
Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.