Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Wed 17 Aug 2005 11:49:56p, kr_gentner wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Fresh or dried apricots?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> >> ____________________________________________
> >>
> >> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> >> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

> > They were dried apricots. I found the recipe googling for jam recipes.
> > The red peppers came from the garden last year and they were fairly hot.
> > I don't have a garden this year due to moving in the middle of the
> > summer so I'm going to have to hunt red peppers at the farmer's market.
> >
> > Kathy

> Oh, good, I was hoping they were dried apricots, as I prefer using them.
> Could you please post your recipe? I have access to a wide variety of hot
> peppers.
>
> Thanks, Kathy!

I'm not Kathy, but I posted this to r.f.c. four years ago. It's from
Sunset publications.

Apricot-Red Pepper Jelly

Recipe By: *Sunset Canning Book, p 54
Serving Size: *72
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc. *

Amount * Measure *Ingredient *Preparation Method
1 *package *(about 6 oz.) dried apricots, chopped *(about 1-1/4 cups)
3/4 * cup * chopped red bell pepper
1/4 * cup * seeded, chopped fresh red Fresno chiles or *
* * * red (or green) jalapeno chiles (4-6 * *
* * * medium-size chiles) *
2 1/2 cups *cider vinegar *
1 1/2 cups *water
1 *box * powdered pectin (1.75 or 2 ounce) *
6 *cups *sugar

In a blender or food processor, chop apricots, peppers, and 1-3/4 cups
of the vinegar until fruit and vegetables are finely ground. *Pour into
a heavy-bottomed 8- to 10-quart pan. *Rinse food processor/blender with
the 1-1/2 cups water and remaining 3/4 cup vinegar; pour into pan. *Stir
in pectin; bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring
constantly. *Quickly add sugar, still stirring. *Return to a full
rolling boil; then boil, stirring for 1 minute. *(If using a 2-oz. box
of pectin, boil for 2 minutes.) *Remove from heat and skim off any foam.

Ladle hot jelly into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch
headspace. *Wipe rims and threads clean; top with hot lids, then firmly
screw on bands. *Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes. *

Or omit processing and ladle jelly into freezer jars or freezer
containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; apply lids. *Let stand for 12 to
24 hours at room temperature; freeze or refrigerate. *

Makes about 6 half-pints. *(More like 9)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/18/05, The Minnesota Pickle!