kr_gentner

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:47:59 -0600, kr_gentner wrote:
>

>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> > In article <0sTMe.2588$Sj1.797@okepread04>, "kr_gentner"

>> > Liquid or powder. :-0) The recipes are different, Kathy, but both
>> > forms have recipes for Pepper Jelly.
>> > --
>> > -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
>> > couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

>> I knew that, but apparently sf doesn't. My pepper jelly turned out just
>> fine made with powdered pectin. As a matter of fact I changed a couple
>> of
>> other jelly and jam recipes from liquid to powder and they all turned
>> out
>> fine. You just have to use the directions for whichever one you're
>> using.
>>
>> I need to go to the farmer's market and get some nice hot red peppers
>> for a
>> couple more batches of Apricot-Red pepper jam. It's hubby's favorite on
>> peanut butter and he opened the last jar this morning.
>>
>> Kathy

> Barb said the recipes were not interchangable, so my recipe would fail
> if I used powder.
>
> Please post your apricot-red pepper jam (JAM?) recipe - it sounds
> delicious! Can you still get fresh apricots or do you use canned?

My mom told me I could use either list of ingredients as long as I used the
instructions for which ever pectin I used. She said "pectin is pectin." I
even used store brand powdered pectin and didn't have a single failure in
over 200 jars of jams and jellies.

The Apricot-Red pepper jam is made with dried apricots and hot red peppers.
The ones I used last year were from my garden and if I remember right the
variety was called Santa Fe.

This is the original recipe as I found it. I didn't use any bell peppers, I
used all hot peppers. I also discovered 1 3/4ths cup of vinegar was
waaaaaaaaaaay too much when I chopped the apricots and peppers. It made a
mess. On the second batch I cut it back to about half a cup in the food
processor. I changed the canning time for my altitude too.

If you want it definitely hot I'd throw in at least one habanero. I finally
got actually hot jam when I made habanero-peach. That'll warm your toast
up.

Kathy

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apricot-Red Pepper Jam

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Jams and Jellies

1 pkg. dried apricots (about 1-1/2 cups) -- (about 6 oz.)
chopped
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup fresno chilies or jalapenos
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar (5% acidity)
1 1/2 cups water
1 box dry pectin -- (1-3/4 or 2 oz.)
6 cups sugar

In a blender or food processor, whirl apricots, bell pepper, chiles,
and 1-3/4 cups of the vinegar until fruit and vegetables are finely
ground. Pour into a heavy-bottomed 8-10 quart pan. Rinse
blender with the 1-1/2 cups water and remaining 3/4 cup vinegar;
pour into pan. Stir in pectin; bring to a full rolling boil over high
heat, stirring constantly. Quickly add sugar, still stirring. Return to
a full rolling boil; boil, stirring for 1 minute (if using 2 oz. box of
pectin boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and skim off any foam.

Ladle hot jelly into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch
headspace. Wipe rims and threads clean, top with hot lids,
then firmly screw on bands. Process in boiling water bath for
10 minutes. Makes about 6 half-pint jars.

Yield:
"9 half pints"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 4674 Calories; trace Fat (0.0%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 1206g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 25mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Vegetable; 80 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

NOTES : canning time adjusted

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0