Barry Grau

Default OT- DIABETIC - typing while blind

Julia Altshuler > wrote in message news:<enPTb.169872$5V2.855893@attbi_s53>...
> I've known a few blind people over the course of my life. Their typing
> has been perfect including capitals, lower case, punctuation, the works.

I would expect a typewriter or computer keyboard might be easier to
use than a Perkins brailler because you only press one key at a time.

> Since a computer designed for the blind can make the typeface any
> size, I don't understand how all caps could be easier. (I believe what

I believe that there is serious refereed published research which
indicates that, at least for normally sighted people, mixed case is
easier to read because the ascenders and descenders create a kind of
envelope that helps the reader predict what a word will be before he
actually focuses on it. Similarly, text printed with a ragged right
margin is easier to read than right justified text.

> you say; I'm just trying to puzzle this out.) Special computers can
> also raise dots in a way for reading Braille. Still, the bottom line is
> that no one has to read anything they don't want to. I can't stand
> reading messages in all caps so I skip those.
>

> --Lia

-bwg