Alex Krupp

Default Did I buy real Puer?

I bought some puer in Kunming (capital of Yunnan) last week when I was
there with my family. The guy poured my some and it was the most
delicious puer I have ever had, though certainly I'm not the most
experienced drinker. Anyway the guy said it was seven years old, and it
tasted very floral. However the sample wasn't from the cake I bought,
and not speaking Chinese it seems there isn't really any way to tell if
I got ripped off or not. Later on I showed it to a guy who spoke
Chinese, and he said that it didn't say the age on it so it was
unlikely to actually be that old.

On the wrapper it says Yunnan Chi Tse Beeng Cha and on the paper inside
it says Yunnan Chitsu Pingcha, and that it is manufactured from puercha
my the Mengchai tea factory Xishuangbanna in Yunnan. Anyway I guess
there isn't really any way to know until I taste it, but do tourists
frequently get ripped off at those little stores beside the road? I
only payed 70 yuan (9 USD) for it, so it isn't too big a deal, but I am
just wondering what experiences others have had with these guys.

Alex