Bob Myers

Default OLD cast iron?

Not QUITE Yet Another Post about how to season new cast iron...

In unpacking some boxes that had been in the basement for years,
I came across some old cast iron that I can remember my Dad using
thirty years ago. At the time, of course, these were all well-seasoned;
I remember them all nice and black, and of course they turned out
many wonderful meals. But they've been packed away and unused
for at least 20 years now - Mom never used them, and I stored these
boxes after she died a couple of years ago. Today they're rusty in
spots, and just in general don't look like something I want to be
cooking with. I'm wondering if anyone has pointers on restoring
old cast iron to service. I've been thinking that coarse steel wool
or even sandblasting could get the accumlated rust and crud off,
and then treating it like new, unseasoned cast iron would be the way
to go. Any thoughts on this?

Yes, I know I could go out and just buy new - but since this stuff's
sort of at "family heirloom" status, I'd sure like to restore it and use
it.

Bob M.