DaleW

Default TN: '89 Meyney at Kittle House

Last night was the 5th anniversary of our first kiss, and I took Betsy
to Crabtree's Kittle House in Chappaqua, where she had somehow never
eaten. I used to think of the Kittle House as great list but only
moderately good food, but a visit last year showed a turnaround in the
kitchen. While the Kittle House winelist is probably the best north of
the city, the fact that this anniversary fell on a Monday, when they
offer free corkage, appealed to the cheapskate in me. About 2 hours
before dinner I double-decanted a bottle of 1989 Meyney. A moment's
concern- is that TCA- before deciding it was just the Cordier funk.

We were shown to a window table with a nice view. Betsy ordered the
"just-warm" Nantucket oysters with roe (tobiko I think) and cr=E8me
fr=E2iche. I got crabmeat and smoked trout cakes (with a avocado mayo).
Both appetizers were tasty. I ordered Betsy a half-glass of the 2002
Brocard Petit Chablis. More fruit-driven than mineral, but excellent
acidity and a nice clean finish, no sign of oak. B/B+
I had a half-glass of the 2004 Terredora Falanghina. Very floral nose,
white fruit on the palate with a nuttiness to the finish. Balanced
acidity (not as zippy as the Petit Chablis). long finish. B+

We had an amuse of gazpacho with warm goat cheese foam that we enjoyed.

On to the 1989 Meyney (St. Estephe). Waiter had put it back in a
decanter, and brought to the table with nice stems. Nose still seems
slightly off at first, but by the time our main courses came whatever
that was - not TCA- had blown off. Full and rich, a bit softer in both
tannins and acidity than I remembered. Nose of cassis and cedar, ripe
blackcurrant fruit dominates on the palate. But not a fruit bomb,
there's some restraint there, as well as notes of earth, leather, and
chocolate. A pleasant herbiness emerges with time. A-/B+

Betsy enjoyed her loin of lamb , accompanied by potatoes roasted
w/coriander and a spinach puree. I had the very good "Steak & Eggs", a
filet topped with a quail egg and accompanied by sunchokes, fingelrling
potatoes, shiitake puree, and carrots. We also had a very good side of
broccoli rabe w/garlic.

Betsy seldom orders chocolate, but went for a "Valrhona purse ", warm
chocolate in a puff pastry wrap. I enjoyed a cheese plate (manchego,
pecorino, garrotxa). Nice night with nice service and very good food.
=20