Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote:

> OOOOOH Barb!
> Sounds wonderful - especially the fruit butters & the relishes.
> Years ago my sister in Pennsylvania took me to a food stand on an Amish
> farm in her "neighborhood". It was October and I bought GOBS of home
> canned stuff. Peach Butter, Pear Butter, Apple and Crabapple Butters.
> Try pearbutter - it's a little grainier than peach but the flavor is
> wonderful.

A thought. I'm not fond of pears, though. Like blueberries, I think
they're mostly just sweet. I've got another box of peaches sitting in
my car, though. I suppose I should check them for ripeness. . .

How do you do your Corn Relish?

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Corn Relish

Recipe By : Barb Schaller
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Relish Jelly

10 large tender ears of corn
1 green pepper -- minced
1/2 red pepper -- minced
1 large yellow onion -- minced
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
1 1/4 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/3 cups cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Cut corn kernels from cobs. Combine the corn kernels with remaining
ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and
simmer for a half hour. Pour into hot, sterilized preserving jars,
cover, and seal. Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
Yield: About 4 pints.

Can be halved and just stored in the fridge forever and a couple days.
- - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : (State Fair Blue Ribbon Winner, 1983-84, 1986-87, 1990, 1994,
2001) Recipe from Sister Mary, may she rest in peace.

_____

Do you ever do Piccililli or
> Cabbage Relish?

No.

> Hope you win EVERYTHING.

Thanks. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

> Hope Gedney picks up your B&Bs

Won't happen. They've already got one in the line. A damn shame, too,
because mine are really, really good (blue ribbons 3 of the last four
years). But Nita's a lovely woman and I don't begrudge them using her
recipe. It was all a matter of timing.

> - I'm not nuts about any of the ones they're marketing now.

Oooh, I think they do a great job! There's a new one out - Tracy
Somebody's B&B spears. They've got a bay leaf in them. VERY good!
And Ron Vickery's Spicy Something Or Other Spears are not for the faint
of heart. One of those things that's so hot and evil but you can't stop
eating it!

Are you up for making your own B&Bs? You could, with not much
difficulty at all reduce the recipe and not process it -- just store in
the fridge forever and a day or two. I've posted the recipe -- you can
look it up.
-Barb

--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)