Rhonda Anderson

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in
news:s6dIe.13818$kc6.2412@trnddc03:

> "Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
> . 5...
>> Julia Altshuler > wrote in
>> :
>>

>> http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm
>> http://www.uq.edu.au/~xxrraven/funnelwb.html
>>
>> http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/dangerous/redback/
>>
>> The happy news of course is that since the development of antivenoms,
>> no deaths have occurred <g>. Plenty of redbacks in my yard, but I've
>> not seen any funnelwebs - possibly gets a bit too dry where I am.
>> Mind you, I always check the toes of my boots before putting them on.
>> I remember a news story some years ago where a bloke (living
>> somewhere in North Sydney, I think, where there are plenty of
>> funnelwebs) put his shoes on and travelled all the way to work before
>> being bitten by a funnelweb in the toe of his shoe.
>>
>> Of course, the majority of spiders are not lethal, but a couple of
>> species that will make you pretty sick, and could kill you, is enough
>> for me :-)
>>
>> Rhonda Anderson
>> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

> ==========
>
> Thanks for posting that Rhonda. Neat pictures.
>
> NOTE: Redbacks are known as "Black Widow" spiders in the states.

Glad you enjoyed them. If you like spider photos you should check out

http://www.spiderzrule.com/spider2.htm

I discovered this site when I was trying to identify a spider in my yard.
Plenty of spider photos.

I did know that Black Widows were related to redbacks - I think they're
actually a separate species. The redbacks I don't mind so much as they're
not aggressive - I just need to be careful if working in the yard, and
picking things up. Also, the venom doesn't work super quickly so you have
plenty of time to get to the doctor.The funnelweb venom is much faster
acting.

Hey, redbacks even have their own song -
http://www.gonewalkabout.com/got/got_spider.htm

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia