Nexis

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> My neighbor gave me a couple of summer squashes from his garden last
> night.
> I've only seen the ones that look like yellow zucchini. What variety are
> these, and what's a good way to cook them? I was thinking of maybe
> slicing, oiling, and grilling.
>
> Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom. I don't mind
> the light brown daddy long legs types with the 1.5" bent legs (never saw
> them before moving here). But I'm scared of the ones that are fast, fast,
> fast! This one is about a half inch long, and very black. I don't
> routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
> get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
> any closer.
>
> I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
>
> Carol

Hey Dams :-)

It's kinda hard to tell with the spider...could be a Parson or a common
black house spider. How big is it? Neither one is known to be venomous,
although they both will bite in the right circumstances. Parsons generally
like to stay hidden during daytime. As a general rule, I only get rid of
spiders that are either venomous or really big and ugly! lol We get alot of
the common house spiders, orb weavers etc, but they take care of more
annoying insects so I don't worry about them.

Last summer I had spent the day at my mom's, who had had 4 tarantulas in her
house since moving in. Later that night I discovered one apparently hitched
a ride home with me, because while my husband and I were snuggled on the
couch watching a movie I suddenly saw something large and black moving
across the floor. There weren't any lights on in the room, just the light
from the tv screen. I just about screamed I turned on the light and when
my husband stood up, it reared up, waving the two front legs up in the air.
I grabbed a canning jar and he captured our intruder and released him into
the canyon behind the house.

Now about that squash...looks like a yellow squash to me. Similar in taste
and texture to a yellow crookneck squash. Great brushed with a flavored
olive oil or avocado oil, like blood orange or meyer lemon, then grilled.
Also works well for stirfry.

Enjoy

kimberly