Rhonda Anderson

Julia Altshuler > wrote in
:

> Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
> beat you to the punch with this:
>

> http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
>

> Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
>

> --Lia

Come live around Sydney for a while and you might change your mind <g>.

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm
http://www.uq.edu.au/~xxrraven/funnelwb.html

http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/dangerous/redback/

The happy news of course is that since the development of antivenoms, no
deaths have occurred <g>. Plenty of redbacks in my yard, but I've not
seen any funnelwebs - possibly gets a bit too dry where I am. Mind you, I
always check the toes of my boots before putting them on. I remember a
news story some years ago where a bloke (living somewhere in North
Sydney, I think, where there are plenty of funnelwebs) put his shoes on
and travelled all the way to work before being bitten by a funnelweb in
the toe of his shoe.

Of course, the majority of spiders are not lethal, but a couple of
species that will make you pretty sick, and could kill you, is enough for
me :-)

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia