Curly Sue

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:32:06 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Vilco" > ha scritto nel messaggio

<snip>
>> Best gnocchi sauce I ever tasted? In the tuscan - emilian Apennines, a
>> hare tomato ragout.

>Good! Thanks Vilco for having added other ways of cooking Gnocchi!
>Pandora

So many gnocchi, so little time!

Here are recipes for the gnocchi I brought to the August '97 NYC-RFC
cook-in (http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/rfc/august97.html). There
are some notes about the recipes posted there.

GNOCCHI ALLA ROMANA (semolina gnocchi; I had these in Florence as an
appetizer)
(from: Italian Cooking Class Cookbook, Editors of Consumer Guide,
Beekman House, NY, 1982, Publications International)

Vegetable oil
3 cups (750 mL) milk
1-1/2 teaspoons (7 mL) salt
Large pinch ground nutmeg
Large pinch pepper
1 cup (250 mL) plus 2 tablespoons (30 mL) semolina
2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 cup (250 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces or 85 g)
6 tablespoons (90 mL) butter

Line bottom of 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch (39 x 26.5 x 2.5 cm) baking
pan with aluminum foil. Generously oil the foil.

Heat milk, salt, nutmeg and pepper in heavy 3 quart (3 L) saucepan
over medium-high heat just to simmering. Do not boil; reduce heat to
medium-low. Begin whisking or stirring milk briskly and add semolina
in thin steady stream, taking care not to let lumps form. Cook,
stirring frequently, until thick enough for spoon to stand upright and
unsupported in center of mixture, 5 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low;
continue cooking, stirring constantly, until very thick, about 5
minutes longer. Remove from heat.

Add egg yolks, 3/4 cup (180 mL) of the cheese and 2 table-spoons (30
mL) of the butter to semolina mixture; stir until butter is melted and
mixture is smooth.

Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Pat out with spatula to 3/8-inch 1
cm) thickness. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, at least 1 hour.

Heat oven to 425 deg F (220 C). Turn mixture out of pan onto flat
surface; peel off foil. Cut gnocchi out of mixture with a 2" round
cutter. Arrange gnocchi overlapping in a 10" (25 cm) shallow
flameproof baking dish. Melt the remaining 4 T (60 ml) butter in a
small saucepan. Drizzle melted butter over gnocchi; sprinkle with
remaining 1/4 c (60 ml) cheese. Bake until tops of gnocchi are crisp
and golden, 20-25 min. Place under broiler about 4" (10 cm) from heat
until lightly brown, 1-2 min. Serve at once.

Makes 4-6 servings.

*********************************
SPINACH AND POTATO GNOCCHI
(From: The Ultimate Italian Cookbook, Carla Capalbo, Anness
Publishing, Ltd, 1994)

1-1/2 lb fresh spinach, or 14 oz frozen leaf spinach
2 lb waxy potatoes, scrubbed salt, to taste
2 to 2-1/2 cups flour
1 egg
pinch of grated nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve

Wash fresh spinach in several changes of cold water. Pull off any
tough stalks. Place in a large saucepan with only the water that is
clinging to the leaves. Cover the pan, and cook over moderate heat,
stirring occasionally,until the spinach is tender, about 5-8 minutes.
Cook uncovered for the last 2-3 minutes to boil off some of the water.
Remove from the heat. Drain.

Cook frozen spinach according to the instructions on the package.
Spread the spinach over a clean dish towel, roll it up and wring out
all excess moisture. Chop the spinach finely with a sharp knife.

Place the unpeeled potatoes in a large pan of salted water. Bring to a
boil, and cook until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart.
Drain. Peel as soon as possible, while the potatoes are still hot.

On a work surface spread out a layer of flour. Mash the hot potatoes
with a food mill, dropping them directly onto the flour. Add the
spinach, and mix lightly into the potatoes. Sprinkle with about half
of the remaining flour and mix in lightly.

Break the egg into the mixture, add the nutmeg, and knead lightly,
drawing in more flour as necessary. When the dough is light to the
touch and no longer moist or sticky it is ready to be rolled. Do not
overwork or the gnocchi will be heavy.

Divide the dough into 4 parts. On a lightly floured board form each
into a roll about 3/4 inch in diameter. Cut the rolls crosswise into
pieces about 3/4 inch long.

Hold an ordinary table fork with long tines sideways, leaning on the
board. One by one press and roll the gnocchi lightly along the tines
of the fork towards the points, making ridges on one side, and a
depression from your thumb on the other. (I didn't do this step.)

Bring a large pan of water to a fast boil. Add salt and drop about
half the gnocchi in. They will sink to the bottom of the pan. When
they rise to the surface, after 3-4 minutes, the gnocchi are done.
Scoop them out with a large slotted spoon, and place in a warmed
serving bowl. Keep warm while the remaining gnocchi are boiling. As
soon as they are cooked, toss the gnocchi with the butter or a heated
sauce, sprinkle with grated Parmesan, and serve. Serves 6.

SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI
(J. Taylor, Better Homes and Gardens, December 1996)

4 sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (1-1/3 lb.)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)
2 cups all-purpose flour

In a large saucepan cook sweet potatoes, covered, in enough boiling
salted water to cover for 25 to 35 minutes or till tender. Drain well;
return to the same pan. Over low heat, mash potatoes with a potato
masher until smooth, allowing any extra moisture to evaporate.

Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Stir in ricotta cheese, salt,
nutmeg, and 1-1/2 cups of the flour. On a well-floured surface, knead
in the remaining 1/2 cup flour; kneading for 2 to 3 minutes or till
dough forms a soft ball. Divide into 8 pieces. With well-floured
hands, roll each piece of dough into a 12-inch-long log (about 1 inch
in diameter). Cut logs crosswise into 1-inch pieces. With a floured
finger, make a dimple in the center of each piece.

Cook gnocchi, several at a time, in a large pot of boiling salted
water for 3 to 4 minutes or till gnocchi rise to the surface of the
water. (Do not overcook.) Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper
towels. Cover to keep warm while cooking remaining gnocchi. If
desired, top gnocchi with melted butter; grated Parmesan cheese, and
pepper. Makes 16 side-dish servings (about 96 gnocchi).

Nutrition facts per serving: 116 cal., 1 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 5
mg chol., 90 mg sodium, 22 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 4 g pro. Daily Values:
92% vit. A, 16% vit. C, 6% iron.

Sue(tm)