Frogleg

Default "SuperMarket Me" - A documentary on my health problems from eating supermarket food

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:32:07 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>Julianne wrote:
>
>> I agree that the public morality took things to extremes with both drunk
>> driving and child molestation. What concerns me now is the push to lower
>> the legal limit from 1.0 to 0.8 for DWI. I'm not saying it is a bad idea
>> but I have yet to find compelling evidence that accidents happen in the
>> 0.8 - 1.0 range that are directly related to alcohol.

>It's gotten to be too extreme. You're right, if I have 2 glasses of
>wine even over say 3 hours, I bet I'm legally drunk now.

I'll bet you're not. According to a brief Google, a 170lb person would
have to consume 4 drinks in 1 hour; a 137lb(?) person, 3 to reach a
blood alcohol level of .08. Most other countries with DUI laws have
limits between 0.00 and 0.05. A glass of wine with dinner isn't going
to get you in trouble, nor will 2 glasses.

If you've ever seen one of those 'experiments' that usually test
people driving around cones in a parking lot, it is luminously clear
that even someone who *appears* perfectly sober is mildly impared at
fairly low blood-alcohol levels, and positively scary at anything
approaching 0.10.

http://www.state.ny.us/governor/ltgo.../april8_02.htm