Boron Elgar

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:43:14 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> Potatoes? Like a regular gnocchi? I had looked around on the net and
>> most recipes had just the chestnut and regular or wheat flour. How
>> interesting!
>> Thank you so much.
>> Gloria

>I Am sure that if you put only flour, Gnocchi come out too hard and
>difficult to digest!!!!
>Cheers
>Pandora

Spaetzle recipes are only flour and yet can be tender, so no potatoes
seemed "normal."

These are the ingredients from a recipe that I had found online and
seemed quite appealing:

Source: The Great Italian Cookbook (1987). Compiled by the Italian
Academy of Cookery. New York: International Culinary Society. ISBN:
0-517-63553-4
http://www.chestnutleaf.com/gnocchi_di_castagne.htm

3 cups chestnut flour

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup whole shelled walnuts

1/3 cup pine nuts

1 cup oil

1 sprig parsley

2 cloves garlic

3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Make the gnocchi: Mix the chestnut flour and the all-purpose flour on
a board. Add sufficient water to produce a soft, smooth dough.
Divide the dough into pieces as large as an orange, then form
finger-thick rolls on the board. Cut these into segments about 3/4
inch long and press against the back of a fork or a grater to produce
the characteristic gnocchi shape. Keep separated so they do not stick
together.

Make the sauce: Blanch the walnuts in boiling water for 3-4 minutes to
help remove their skins and toast the pine nuts in the oven. Put all
the nuts in a mortar and pound well. Peel and finely chop the garlic
cloves. Fry with the parsley and 4 tbsp oil in a saucepan. Add the
nuts, stir and continue frying for a couple of minutes. Remove from
the heat and then add the remaining oil mixed with a little boiling
water (the water is necessary to obtain a smooth paste).

Boil the gnocchi in plenty of salted water for about 7-8 minutes.
Remove carefully with a slotted spoon, then transfer to individual
plates.

Cover each portion with some of the sauce and grated Parmesan cheese.