Ron

According to the state standard GOST 5309-50, the flour and malt
percentages of Borodinsky bread are set out as specific percentages
(rye 85, wheat 15, malt 5) and the ingredients sugar and syrup are also
specified, but I did not see specific percentages of sugar and syrup in
the official standard
(http://www.borodinsky.com/standart/g...st5309-50.html).

All of the published recipes I have seen, however, specify 6 kilos of
sugar and 4 kilos of syrup per 100 kilos of flour.

Those ingredients could be removed, but then the bread would have a
different name, since the Borodinsky standard implied something
specific. Borodinsky is only one of dozens of Russian dark breads.

For example, Moscow, Minsk and some subtypes of Riga bread have totally
different flour percentages and don't list sugar and syrup as
ingredients.

I have posted a scan of full table (in Russian) which lists the major
rye breads and their ingredient percentages, at:
http://www.indiana.edu/~pollang/royter_table.pdf. (Sorry, I don't have
time to translate it now.)

Ron