Hairy

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well due to a little mishap the guy who does our lawn got his blower
> too close to this open container of old motor oil in our garage (door
> was open). Just so happens that my WSM, chimmney and bag of lump were
> next to it. The blower splattered oil everwhere including those items.
> I wiped pretty much all of it off the WSM. The chimmney has oil
> stains as well as the bag of lump (and I assume some of the chunks
> inside absorbed it).
>
> So do I need to throw the chimmney and lump away or is it safe to use?
> There was also some on my spatula, again most of it cleaned off but
> still wondering if I should just toss it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jesse

*They* say that used motor oil contains carcinogens, but I believe it takes
years of exposure to cause harm. I'd throw the spatula in the dishwasher.
The chimney will burn off any oil the first time it's fired up. If it's just
splatters on the bag of lump, the paper probably absorbed most if not all of
the oil. If the bag was laying in a puddle, I'd pitch it. I'd be most
concerned about the WSM. I'd make sure to get all the oil off of it so that
the smell of hot used motor oil doesn't ruin the aroma of my next cook.;_)